|The Teutonia Club has seen over 70 years
in Windsor, and will likely remain for some time to come.
A Short Synopsis about the Teutonia Club
All indicators, in finding the roots of our society’s existence,
point to an area of a few city blocks between Hall Ave. and Howard
Ave. – looking from east to west – and from Wyandotte
St. to Ottawa St. – north to south. To be more precise it
was in Mr. Alex Rasnovan’s (a Romanian) billiard room at the
corner of Giles Blvd. And Marion Ave. where in 1929 the first initial
meeting took place. At that meeting the decision was made to unify
and form the (Deutsch Kanadischer Verband) German Canadian Association.
Previously and long after the founding of the (Verein) club most
meetings were held at the house of the president, Mr. Adam Scherer,
which was located between Ottawa St. and Giles Blvd. On Elsmere
Ave. There have been some smaller gatherings in other private homes
until they bought a house (store) on the corner of Ottawa St. and
Marentette Ave. in which they held their meetings and used it for
other occasions. But it was not meant to last, because of the depression
and hardship that followed, they lost this property. Later on they
ventured again into a deal to own a home and acquired the Schmutz’
property on Howard Ave. and Erie St., which was an auto, parts store.
Losing this property as well as the previous one, they were forced
Places they rented were: the Lancaster Hall on Wyandotte St. at
Pierre Ave., (the hall was above the storage area of the Lancaster
Moving Co.); the Saxon Club, on Wyandotte St. between Parent Ave.
and Marion Ave.; occasionally the Polish Hall on Langlois Ave. across
from the Lanspeary Park as well as the Masonic Temple on the corner
of Erie St. and Oulette Ave., but most of the time, when it was
available they rented the basement of the Sacred Heart church on
Ottawa St. and Benjamin Ave. In this church basement most of their
dances and theater performances were held.
Theater was held in high esteem because they were trying to keep
the younger generation speaking their mother language. In this endeavor
two names come to our attention: Mr. Kaiser and Mrs. Eppert who
were very involved with the study and preparation of plays. Practice
was held in many homes, mostly the Niklas’s, Backer’s
In the nice weather they entertained themselves with picnics, which
were mostly held on Mr. John Hutz’s farm. The farm was located
on Walker road, past the tracks when you drive south, where now
the 401 is.
In 1935, before the application for a charter was made, Mr. Karl
Endriss, himself a board member and a Swiss citizen advocated to
rename the fledgling society. He advised the club to change its
name from German Canadian Association to Teutonia Club (Verein).
Mr. Endriss argued the point, that Teutonia was a more collective
name for German speaking people no matter where they came from:
Germany, Austria, Switzerland or any other part of the world. So
it came to be, that in 1935, the charter was issued to a Society
Teutonia of Windsor, Ontario.
The first president of the newly formed (named) club was Mr. Peter
Niklas. In the following year (1936) the Teutonia Society acquired
their first home on 1119 Langlois Ave. Just as their activity began
to flourish, World War II put a damper on them and almost destroyed
their efforts. However, in 1949, due to the relaxing of the immigration
laws, many new immigrants came to participate and swell the ranks.
In the early fifties it became quite obvious that the small building
on 1119 Langlois Ave. could not hold the membership any longer and
plans were made for a move.
Through the acquisition of a few acres of land on Edinborough St.,
in the old township of Sandwich South, a new dream was born. On
the very same date as the charter right was obtained, November 7th
(almost twenty years later) 1954, the corner stone for the present
Teutonia Club, at 55 Edinborough St. was laid. It culminated out
of the hope to have a new and large enough house to hold all its
members. Yet, again this thought seemed to have been too optimistic,
because in November 1966 the members gathered for another opening
of an even more elaborate extension of their club.
Supported By The Trillium Foundation.